Have you been dealing with dental issues for quite some time now? Do you constantly find yourself looking for ways to outreach your ideal oral health? Well, you are in the right place because we are here to introduce you to the world of preventive dental care and discuss all the necessary measures you can take for maintaining oral health and hygiene.
Preventive dentistry is the measures taken by individuals to maintain oral hygiene and prevent dental diseases in the long run. It deals with the awareness of basic dental care and the practice of adopting simple and healthy routines to take care of one’s gums and teeth.
Thousands of people in today’s time suffer from bleeding gums, tooth pains, cavities, and bad breath among many other dental diseases. Preventive dental care includes daily simple practices of oral hygiene, maintenance of a healthy diet, regular check-ups, as well as availing dental preventive services when needed, to get rid of any dental problems in their early stages. Preventive dentistry aims at helping patients maintain their natural teeth in the best condition, for as long as possible.
These are some of the simple practices that you adopt for a healthier smile:
- Brush your teeth twice a day: One must never skip brushing teeth at night as the food that gets stuck in the teeth overnight results in cavities.
- Avoid sugary and acidic foods: Sugar turns into acid in the mouth, which leads to tooth decay and cavity formation. Brush your teeth after consuming sugary foods as it can go a long way to fight cavities and prevent any dental diseases.
- Gently brush your tongue along with your teeth as it helps to get rid of any built-up plaque.
- Use a fluoridated mouthwash to clean your mouth and maintain oral hygiene, it is also going to help get rid of bad breath.
- Floss your teeth regularly: It gets rid of any food stuck between the gaps in the teeth, thus preventing gum diseases and cavities.
- A regular checkup, once every six months, to your local dentist can benefit you as they can detect and prevent any underlying cavities or diseases.
- Limit the use of tobacco and cigarettes as they can lead to serious conditions like mouth cancer.
- Avoid grinding your teeth as it can cause weakening of the tooth enamel.
- Include superfoods like fiber, nuts, green leafy vegetables, milk, cranberries, and other fresh fruits which are rich with antioxidants that ensure your teeth contain ample nutrients and remain strong and healthy.
- Consume 2-3 liters of water every day as it helps keep the mouth clean, and dental diseases at bay. Herbal drinks like green and black tea also help keep the tooth enamel strong.
Professional Preventive Dental Services
Despite all the measures, a regular checkup to your local dentist, once every six months can go a long way in detecting any dental disease at its very onset. Treatments like root canals, fillings, space maintainers can be suggested and performed by the dentist to ensure that your teeth and gums remain healthy in the long run. Professional cleanings by your dentist can help in giving an extra boost to your teeth and gums and ensure the overall hygiene of your mouth. Proper education can be given by the dentist regarding oral hygiene, techniques of flossing and brushing, as well as tobacco cessation counseling, which can help you take care of your teeth in the most efficient manner.
While preventive dental care goes a long way in maintaining dental hygiene, nevertheless, if you suffer from bleeding gums, persistent pain, or any other dental issues, do contact a dentist at the earliest.