It can be said with no doubt that your smile impacts our self-esteem. A beautiful, healthy smile can give you a boost of confidence, while a pale and dull smile can lower your self-esteem.
As the holiday season is right around the corner, now is the perfect time to start taking care of your dental hygiene and transform your smile into a more beautiful one and flaunt it with utmost confidence during the holidays and festivities. With this article, you can learn some simple do's and don'ts for healthy teeth and effective tips for a gleaming smile during the holidays.
These simple ways of prevention can go a long way in taking care of your oral health and keeping your teeth and gums healthy and strong.
Do's for healthy teeth:
- Make a habit of brushing your teeth after any or every sugary meal. Even if you brush your teeth twice a day, brushing immediately after a sugary treat can help you take extra care of your teeth and reduce the chance of cavities accumulating.
- Brush your tongue daily to get rid of any plaque formation. Brushing your tongue is as essential as brushing your teeth.
- Floss daily - flossing between the teeth is a great way to get rid of any plaque. Or leftover food from the previous day. Make sure you floss your teeth at least once upon waking up.
- Change your toothbrush at least every three months- the bristles of your toothbrush break and become less effective over time. So make sure you get a new toothbrush every three months.
- Don't ignore any signs and symptoms- Always be on a constant lookout for signs of oral disease. Be it bad breath, or a wound, or dental pain, make sure you talk to your dentist about any or every problem that arises in the mouth.
- If you play any sport like rugby, boxing or wrestling, etc., make sure you wear a mouthguard while playing. This will ensure that your teeth do not get chipped or knocked out.
- Regular dental visits are the key to maintaining good oral hygiene. Your dentist is your best friend when it comes to a healthy smile. Regular dental checkups can help your teeth stay extra clean, hygienic and reduce the chances of developing any oral disease.
Here are some don’ts for healthy teeth:
- Do not brush too hard - Sometimes, people bleed through the gums while brushing their teeth. While this can be an underlying disease symptom, it is usually due to very harsh brushing. So make sure you brush nicely but are not too rough with your teeth and gums.
- Stop smoking. Apart from being one of the top reasons for tongue, lip, and mouth cancer, it also leads to discoloration of the lips and stains the teeth.
- Please don't use your mouth to open cans, lids, or anything, as it can lead to a severe jerk and subsequent tooth injury, and even loss.
- Cut down on aerated drinks like soda, cola, etc., as they are acidic and make teeth sensitive and lead to discoloration.
- Stop grinding teeth. Grinding is usually done unconsciously, but try to be actively aware of it and stop doing it. It leads to wear and tear of the teeth.
Some essential tips:
- The first tip is to drink plenty of water during the day. That way, you will avoid a dry mouth which can lead to tooth decay and bad breath.
- Second, don't forget to brush and floss twice a day and try getting in a regular dental check-up to prevent any serious problems from arising.
- Third, brush your teeth before going to bed at night since that's when plaque tends to be more concentrated on teeth, and it's harder for saliva to wash away when you sleep.
- Finally, make sure you're not snacking too much on sugary drinks like juice or soda since they will make the bacteria grow and sustain.