A steamy bowl of your favorite chicken soup, a brewing cup of hot coffee, and an extra-large serving of your favorite chocolate-chip ice cream. As delicious as these everyday foods and drinks might sound, for some of us (1 in 8 Americans, to be precise), they are the worst nightmares.
If biting into something hot, cold, or sour gives you a sharp, piercing pain or sensation deep down your teeth or jaw, the chances are that you suffer from teeth and gum sensitivity.
From poor oral hygiene to wrong diet choices: your lifestyle affects your dental well-being the most. A poor dental regime or unhealthy dietary choices can cause tooth sensitivity, cavities, and gum diseases. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing regularly are the easiest ways to avoid dental diseases. It is also crucial to visit your dentist for oral check-ups at least once a quarter to minimize the risk of any dental disease at its onset.
Apart from following a dental routine, there are some changes you can make to your diet to either accommodate new foods or cut down on others to ensure your teeth and gums are clean, healthy, and strong. Try your best to strike the right balance of minerals and nutrients in your body: this leads to stronger immunity, making your teeth and gums capable of fighting any disease at its very onset.
This article will discuss the top five foods and drinks with exceptional dental health benefits that can help you fight dental diseases and keep your mouth clean and healthy. We also have two pro tips for you at the end that will help you achieve your beautiful smile.
- Dairy products: Dairy products contain calcium and phosphorus, which help keep teeth healthy and strong. Milk, cheese, and yogurt are ideal as they help clean your teeth naturally and keep them white.
- Green leafy vegetables: A diet rich in vitamins A, C, and E protects against the development of mouth cancer. Include plenty of fruit and vegetables in your diet to help the body defend itself from most dental problems. Spinach, kale, and collard are well-known for levels of iron and calcium that help to rebuild enamel; they are a great addition to any plate.
- Salmon: Salmon contains low fat and high protein levels. Protein helps gums to revitalize and repair damaged muscle tissue around the body. It also has vitamin D, which helps the body to absorb calcium allowing for healthy teeth and bones.
- Carrots: Carrots are excellent for various reasons, especially when eaten raw. The crunchy texture helps clean your teeth and acts as a natural toothbrush. The chewing action also helps massage your gums and improve their overall health and blood circulation. Keratin and vitamin A present in carrot helps repair tooth enamel.
- Almonds: Almonds are a healthy snack that helps with several dental issues. They are great for your teeth because they are a good source of calcium and protein while low in sugar. Sugar can adversely affect teeth by rising acidity levels in the mouth and badly impacting the enamel.
- Coffee, red wine, soda, and berries are famous for staining teeth. But that doesn't mean you need to stay away from them entirely, yet you should restrict the quantity. You can also use a straw to prevent teeth from coming in direct contact. Another teeth stainer is smoking or consuming tobacco as they cause nicotine stains. Consider quitting to maintain your smile and avoid tooth decay and gum infections.
- Drinking water is an excellent way of naturally draining all unwanted food stuck in your teeth or mouth; it helps keep the mouth fresh, clean, and hydrated. Ensure you drink plenty of water to keep your mouth clean and hygienic.
Maintaining a well-balanced diet is key to strong teeth and gums. If you face any dental issues like pain, gum bleeding, or tooth sensitivity, it is best to consult a dentist. We are here to take care of your dental well-being and support you every step of the way. From regular dental checkups to more complex dental oral surgeries, Smile Select Dental is here for you and your family's comprehensive oral care. Schedule a consultation today!